Huntington Masters Swim Team

The Huntington Masters Swim Team ("HUMS"), an official club of US Masters Swimming, holds daily early-morning pool workouts year-round at the Huntington YMCA, 60 Main Street, Huntington (contact the Y at 631-421-4242 for Full Y membership fee information).

Indoor Pool Workouts in one of the Y’s two 25-yard pools begin at 5:30 a.m. weekdays and 7:00 a.m. weekends and last one to two hours. These workouts are open to all Full Y members.

Open-Water Swims are held from May to November at West Neck Beach and other local Long Island beaches. Outdoor swim schedules are posted on The Water-Blog.

Want to swim for the Home Team? You can! Join HUMS at clubassistant.com.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Sun Hung On The Western Trees At West Neck Beach By Ken Longo

Driving home from work along CSH shore, I couldn't resist the urge for a late swim. The water was like a sheet of glass, not a boat in sight and it was high tide.

Arriving at WNB around 6:30, the Sun hung on the western trees. It was beautiful, but something was missing. Then it hit me, everything was gone. The beach lines, bouy's, life guard stands and even the shower and shower platforms (who's going to steal those). Shut down for the winter. I couldn't take my shower after the swim I thought. I entered the water and swam the 1st leg to the southern buoy.

As I rested and took in the falling Sun against a Center Island background, I realized how lucky we are. I was slightly upset that the end of another OWS season is upon us. I laughed thinking how the new season usually starts with our version of Ground Hog day. Our friendly Canadian samples the water a few times during the winter; a new season is just around the corner.

The real reason for this story is to tell you Huntington has closed West Neck Beach. The gates are still open though!

No comments:

Post a Comment